After reading Rao, Torres, and Smith’s article, Digital Tools and UDL-Based Instructional Strategies to Support Students With Disabilities Online, I began thinking about how digital tools and UDL can change the way my middle school math students learn, especially those who feel anxious about math. The article explains that online and blended learning can be more challenging for students with disabilities, particularly with reading, staying organized, and keeping motivated. When the pandemic began, teachers had to pick up new digital tools quickly, but the authors point out that these tools are only effective with strong teaching strategies. This matches what I see in my own math classes, where students often struggle more with directions, vocabulary, and how online tasks are set up than with the math itself. The article shares examples like step-by-step visual instructions, text-to-speech, and offering different ways to learn. These made me realize that small changes can help students who already feel unsure about math. I found a few ideas I can use to improve the lesson I’m working on now.
Exploring the CAST UDL website gave me a few ideas for my current lessons. In the Language & Symbols section, Consideration 2.2 focuses on making mathematical vocabulary and symbols easier to understand. Math uses a lot of words and symbols that can be confusing, adding quick definitions, pictures, or short videos can help students understand without getting stuck. Under the Building Knowledge section, Consideration 3.3 is about helping students work through and visualize information. Multi-step math problems can overwhelm students, so using digital charts or breaking tasks into smaller parts can help. Both ideas make it easier for students to understand the material better and give them the support they need to keep up.
When I think about the National Educational Technology Plan, I recognize how UDL can help close the Digital Use Divide. The NETP explains that the divide is not just about having devices or internet, but also about whether students can use technology in creative and meaningful ways. In my math classes, this means giving students digital tools that help them reason, visualize, and solve problems, instead of just giving them answers. UDL supports this by offering different ways to learn and extra support when needed. When students can listen to directions, use organizers to break down problems, and show what they know in different ways, they become more confident and independent. This fits with the NETP’s idea that technology should help all students, not just those who already feel comfortable online.
Overall, this week’s readings fit together really well. The article helped me see some of the barriers my students face, the CAST strategies gave me practical ways to support them, and the NETP showed the bigger picture of equity with UDL. Thinking about these ideas has encouraged me to design my lessons to give all my middle school math students more access, confidence, and engagement.
References:
CAST (2024). Universal Design for Learning Guidelines version 3.0. Retrieved from https://udlguidelines.cast.org
Office of Educational Technology. (2024). A Call to Action to Close the Technology Access, Design, and Use Divides: National Educational Technology Plan. Department of Education. Retrieved from: https://tech.ed.gov/netp
Rao, K., Torres, C., & Smith, S. (2021). Digital tools and UDL-based instructional strategies to support students with disabilities online. Journal of Special Education Technology, 36(2), 105-112.
I enjoyed reading your blog! I think you have a great point when it comes to multi-step problems causing some problems for students. Being able to break it down into pieces is a great way to help and then technology helps engage their creativity with the problem.
ReplyDeleteI agree! This small changes can make the biggest difference. I also like the step-by-step piece as well.
ReplyDelete