As a Math Interventionist, I’ve been thinking a lot about how to make math more meaningful for my students. They often ask, “When will we ever use this?”. This week’s focus on Authentic Intellectual Work really pushed me to think about how I can design lessons that connect math to the real world in ways that matter to my students. According to Newman, King, and Carmichael, AIW is about constructing knowledge through disciplined inquiry to produce work that has value beyond school.
Traditional math instruction often focuses on repetition and quick recall. AIW, on the other hand, encourages students to build understanding through exploration and application. It’s made up of three key components: construction of knowledge, disciplined inquiry, and value beyond school. Students learn best when they actively make sense of information, think critically about their reasoning, and create something that has real meaning.
In my upcoming lessons, I’m planning a project that ties directly to Math TEKS 8.3C, 8.4A, 8.6C, and 8.7C. These standards focus on using the Pythagorean Theorem, understanding slope, and relationships in similar figures. For the project, students will design a community skate park. Their challenge will be to calculate ramp slopes and determine safe dimensions using the Pythagorean Theorem. This hands-on, real-world problem allows students to apply math concepts that authentically mirror the way engineers and designers use math outside of school.
This project aligns with the 2024 National Education Technology Plan, focusing on addressing the Digital Use Divide. Many students have access to multiple devices, but rarely use them for learning. Through Universal Design for Learning strategies, I’ll incorporate technology tools that help students visualize and test their designs by using Desmos to model ramps and calculate measurements. Students will also use Canva or Google Slides to create digital presentations of their final skate park designs. This allows students to use technology to create, communicate, and collaborate rather than just complete math worksheets.
This project aligns with Kolb’s Triple E Framework (Engagement, Enhancement, and Extension). My students will be engaged because they’re designing something real and relevant. Technology will enhance their learning by helping them model and test their ideas, and the extension happens when they present their designs to their peers, explaining how math influenced their choices.
Through AIW and intentional technology use, I’m hoping this project helps my Tier 3 students build confidence and see that math isn’t just about numbers.
Sametria, I would have to agree with you on students learning best by being actively make sense of the information. This is such a key point especially in our field of math. When students find math to be important, they tend to fully by into Math can be fun, and is used daily. Your plan with your students sounds so fun! That is a great way for students to make the learning meaningful!
ReplyDelete-Karlie
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHi Sametria, your skate park project does a great job showing how the Pythagorean Theorem and slope apply to real situations. I love how it show students that math can be something practical instead of just abstract rules. I wish I had that in school. How do your students react when they realize their designs use the same reasoning engineers use?
ReplyDeleteSametria, I love this idea for making it real-world. It means so much to struggling students to find meaning and purpose, and this adds a level of fun. I remember the first year I taught the Pythagorean theorem, we were building an addition to my house. We were trying to make sure our studs and base walls were square, and pyhtagreom' theorem came to the rescue. I always think of walls now, but now I can think about a skate park.
ReplyDeleteBeing able to share their work with their peers will not only help their learning but also build their confidence and make them excited. Thanks for the idea. Jamie Castle